Friday, August 5, 2011

I'm a Mechanical Toy


Me, to my almost 6 and 1/2 year old: "Put your shorts on."

Five minutes later, "Put your shorts on."

Two minutes after that, "Put your shorts on."

Two more minutes after that, "Dude [Yes, I call my son "Dude"], really? Put those on.  What did I say? Are you listening?"

Sigh.

*

Me, to my newly 4 year old: "Go potty"

Five minutes later, "Did you go potty?  No?  Go potty."

Two minutes after that, "Now.  You need to go potty.  Now. Todaaay. [There's the impatient New Yorker in me coming out]"

A minute later...

Sigh 

*

Me, to the 16 month old: "No, no.  No, touch."

A minute later: "No, no, no.  No, touch.  Come over here and play with the school bus."

Two minutes later, a sigh from me: "Baby.  No, touch, I said.  No, no....okay, okay, okay... [because he's screaming and crying in protest at this point, so I'm rocking him] would you like a ball.  Look, ball!"

Five minutes later:  "Oh, baby.  No, touch!  I think it's time for nap."  It definitely is for Mommy. 


And the above is everyday, throughout the day, several times a day times three. 

I'm not complaining.  

I'm just a mechanical toy. 

Automatic.  In a constant state of verbal repetition.  That's me.  I feel like you just need to push that button located on my back and off I go.  Uh huh. 

Out come the same words, several times in one cycle, in a matter of several minutes.

Like now, as I type - me, to the almost 6 and 1/2 year old: "Sssh, not so loud.  The baby's sleeping."

Hmmm... Uh, here it comes again: "Sssh...Dude...the baby's sleeping."

Yep.


Moms and Dads out there, do you ever feel like this?  Please share.  I'm hoping I'm not the only one...Uh oh, if I am...