Friday, July 29, 2011

Cola Goodness Revisited

This is a rewrite of Cola Goodness...


She's a nut, my partner, Sophie.  Doesn't she know that stuff can burn a hole through a car hood?  Imagine what it's doing to her stomach.  


I sit across from her at McDonald's.  Lunch time.   She already had two cans of Coke this morning - who drinks Coke in the mornings?  Now she is drinking it from a Supersize cup. 


"I'm surprised you don't have holes in your stomach from where the acid is burning.  Or holes in your teeth, " I say, looking pointedly at her drink.

"What?"  She rolls her eyes.  "It's just Coke.  Besides, this is it for me today."

"Okay." I give her a doubtful look.  She makes that empty promise to herself daily.  


"It is!"



*


Two hours later, we walk towards the car on our way back  from viewing a crime scene.  We pass a bodega.  I make a detour towards it.  I could use a KitKat.


"I'm just going to grab something," I say. "You want anything?"


"A Coke."  Of course.  


I raise my eyebrows.  "I thought the Supersize was it for the day." 


She grimaces.  "This is an exception.  That body was gruesome.  Need a pick-me-up"


"Every body is gruesome."


"Thank goodness for Coke," she says and winks. 


I shake my head and walk in. 


*


Two hours later, back at the precinct, we both sit our desks, stumped.  This current case baffles us.  


"Should we just go to the board?" she asks. 


"Yeah," I say. "Maybe that will trigger something."  


We both stand. 


Sophie takes a sip from her lunchtime Supersized Coke cup.  She shakes it.  It's empty.  


"I'll be back," she says.  I look at her, then at her cup. 


"You want anything?  Another Kit-Kat? It'll be your third one today."  She looks at me pointedly. 


I sigh.  Chocolate is not as bad as that carbonated poison.  I throw her a dollar.  


"Yeah, sure."  


She walks towards the vending machine.  


*


It's 11pm and I lay back on my bed.  What a day.  Just got home minutes ago.  Sophie and I needed to call it quits since we weren't making any new progress on the case.  


I sigh  and the taste of chocolate appears on my tongue.  


Aw, what the heck.  


I get off the bed and head into the kitchen to grab a KitKat from my stash up in the cabinet by the sink. 




This piece is inspired by a writing prompt at the Red Dress Club which asks us to go back in the archives of our blog, pick a fiction or nonfiction piece and do a complete overhaul.  




Red Writing Hood