Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Just Because I Love You Day - Revisited

Below is a post that I wrote last Valentine's Day.  One of my favorites because it expresses how our family feels about Valentine's Day.  For our family it's "Just Because I Love You Day" today and practically every day. 

Wishing you the very best "Just Because I Love You Day" today.

----------------


On this Valentine's day or as our family likes to call it "Just Because I Love You" Day (borrowed from an episode of 'Team Umizoomi' - a Nick Jr. television show), because we remember and are grateful for the love that we have for each other.

A previous conversation:


The 5 year old, "Do you love me, Mommy?"


Me: "Yes, I love you."


The 5 year old, "Do you love me, Rhys?"


The 3 year old, "Yes, I love you, Noah. Do you love me, Daddy?"


The Dad: "Yes, I love you, Rhys. And I love Noah and Owen and Mommy..."


The 5 year old turns to the baby: "Awww...you love me, Owen?" The baby just grins.


Me: "I think he does love you..."


The 3 year old, "And I love Chelsea the Cat..."


Me (to the cat) : "Hear that, Chelsea. Someone loves you. Aren't you lucky?" Of course, we all love her...but it's just that the 3 year old seems to always remember his love for her, in opposed to the rest of the family, who either is too preoccupied to remember we love her or doesn't quite know what loving his cat is all about yet (that would be the baby).


But that's one thing, hubby and I feel like we can do as people and as parents, love often and love well. If we're not successful at giving our kids anything else, it's the thing we want them to get from us. We want them to know that they are loved - just because, and for no other talent, quality or reason. That's one skill we would love to get the gold medal for. The one thing, if they have to choose one thing their parents did for them growing up that was successful, it was this - that we loved them well.


Which with our kiddos (and with each other), it's not that hard. Okay, most times it's not...



Here's wishing you the best "Just Because I Love You" Day ever.