Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Here's The Truth...




Here’s the truth.

I am not ready to be back in the frenzy that is the new school year.

I am not ready for laid-back summer to be over, where we are not on a schedule or pressured to be anywhere early.

For other parents, this is the most wonderful time of the year.  The kids are back in school and they get a little more freedom and a break.

I still want to wake up and wander around the house with the kids, pull them close to me and hold them on a weekday morning, while we’re hanging out in bed, with no where pressing to go or be.

This is not to say that I am not excited for their new school year – and all the new things that they will learn and do.  I am ecstatic and can’t wait.  

And I am very happy to reconnect with the Moms and Dads who are part of the school community.  It’s good to see everyone again. 


However, at times with the school year comes complexity and stress and worries and pressures: is the oldest having good experiences today?  Are the kids being nice to him or is he again being ignored, rejected, and teased by some?  Is he maintaining self-control with his body and his emotions or is he having another meltdown? 

Multiply the above frets by two as it applies to his two younger brothers as well.


With summer – for us at least – we could just be.  A freedom to just spend time with each other and be ourselves.  Not have to face weekly injustices or attitudes from others. 

The school year. 

It's a part of life, I know.   

An important part of life for the growth of my children and myself even as a person.

I just can't help but love my season of summer and all that it brings.  

And with all the busyness and sometimes complexity our lives become during this school time, summer is always a welcome friend.  

Pouring my heart out today with Shell
 at Things I Can't Say